Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Best of 2014: Hits & Misses


2014 was a year of change for me and my hair.  I transitioned from relaxed hair, big chop and watched my natural hair grow. It's been a fun journey and I have learned A LOT.  Here's a recap of the great and not so great hair moments of 2014.

Hit: Big Chopping 

This was probably the best decision I made for my hair in 2014. I applaud anyone that transitions but it wasn't for me. I just wanted the relaxed hair gone and I was anxious to see what my natural hair was like. 



Hit: Tea Rinses

I discovered tea rinses early on in my natural hair (shout out to Jen from Just Grow Already for all of her tips on tea rinses). I started with green teas but eventually incorporated black, burdock and peppermint from time to time. I noticed a significant difference in the amount of shedding I experienced when using tea rinses. This is something that will remain a staple in my regimen.




Hit: Starting a blog to document my hair journey

When I first started this blog, I had no idea where it would take me. I've met some other great naturals and feel great about my hair journey. I can't wait to see what 2015 brings!


Hit: Bantu Knots

This was one of my favorite hairstyles from 2014. At first I felt soft conscience about wearing them out but I was over it in no time. It was an easy hairstyle to achieve and once I took them out, I had curl definition and stretched hair.

     


Hit: Three Strand Twists (and Twist Out)

I was late to the game on this one. Thanks to a tutorial from Natural Sistas, I was able to create my twists and have the best curl definition EVER. I can't wait to do this style again.

              





Hit: Experimenting with different hairstyles

As part of my natural hair journey, I've been experimenting with different styles for my twa. It has a been a way to learn more about my hair.


             


   

             

Product Hits: Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner, Hair Trigger, Shea Moisture Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner, ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer, Maguerite's Magic Restorative Cream, Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner  and Lisa's Healthy Hair & Scalp Collection.




Miss: Chunky Twists       

I really wanted this hairstyle to work for me, but it just didn't.  I don't know if I'll try this one again anytime soon.



Miss: Not stretching my hair at night

Up until recently my nightly my routine consisted of doing the LCO method and putting on my bonnet or scarf. In the morning my hair was a matted mess. In the beginning, it wasn't a big deal. But, now that I have longer hair, I can't let my fro be free at night.  


                                   What were your hits and misses for 2014? 

                                         The #WashDayExperience



4 comments:

  1. I've been natural since 2008 and I'm 2.5 years post big chop #3! Now that my hair is longer, I absolutely love my blown out hair but I just haven't embraced my longer curly hair! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats!! You have to do what's most comfortable for you. Hopefully one day you can embrace the curly hair too :). Thanks for stopping by and Happy New Year to you as well!

      Delete
  2. Great hits and misses. Seems like you've learned a lot about your hair. Stretching natural hair is an absolute must or you run the risk of getting single strand knots. The Bantu knot style looks so cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really did and I can't wait to see what I learn this year. I didn't figure out the stretching part until just recently. Those single strand knots are no joke! Aww, thank you! It's one of my favorite hairstyles.

      Delete