Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Updates: DIY Skin Care and Oil Pulling

DIY SPA/Skin Care:
It's been a little more than a month since my DIY Spa night and I wanted to give a quick update. I have been enjoying my brown sugar scrub and my yogurt cleanser (see this post for more details). I also started using apple cider vinegar as a toner. The avocado mask made my skin so smooth, soft and brighter. I only made it once but I plan on using it more often. So far I haven't experienced new breakouts, which in my book is a win! I switched from using the products every other day to twice a day. All was great... until last night when I noticed a little rash on my face (on both cheeks and a little on my chin) :( . I think the apple cider vinegar may be the culprit.  Because my skin is very sensitive and apple cider vinegar is strong, I should have diluted it with water. If the rash goes away after a few days, I will try using it again this time diluting with water. I want to try rose water and green tea. Both are supposed to be great options for people with sensitive skin. There are a couple of other recipes I want to try, so another DIY Spa Night is in the near future.

**  A similar rash appeared the past two summers and it disappeared on its own. I guess it could be anything, that's the problem with having sensitive skin. Sometimes it's difficult to pinpoint what causes breakouts or rashes to surface.

Oil Pulling: Day 1
I know, I was supposed to start yesterday. However, I didn't have a chance to get another jar of organic unrefined virgin coconut oil until today. My husband also likes using coconut oil for cooking and used up my last jar. We now have separate jars. Lol.

 I was nervous about swishing the oil around my mouth for 20 minutes. I had another idea: split it up into two 10 minute sessions. It worked perfectly for me. During the first session I did the dishes and for the second session I moisturized my hair. And you know what, it wasn't bad at all. Coconut oil doesn't taste like anything and distracting myself made the time go a little quicker. After 20 minutes my teeth felt like I just left my dentist's office after a cleaning. They felt clean and looked whiter. I plan on taking a picture at the end of each week and sharing the results in a month.


Did anyone start oil pulling? How long did you swish the oil around? What do you think so far. I would love to hear your experiences. Please feel free to comment below!

Until next time :)!


No comments:

Post a Comment