Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Oil Pulling: Yet another reason to love coconut oil?

I admit that I didn't fully appreciate or know the benefits of using coconut oil until a couple of years ago. My mother-in-law suggested coconut oil as a way to moisturize my dry skin. It worked wonders and I began to use it from time to time.

 Last year when I started researching products to use for my hair, I noticed that several bloggers used coconut oil for their pre-poo (a treatment usually made out of oil that is applied to hair before shampooing). While some people use a conditioner for their pre-poo, others claimed that coconut oil made their hair soft and helped retain moisture. I found that using it as a pre-poo worked wonders on my hair. I even use it as part of the LOC method.

I thought I knew all the uses of coconut oil, until a friend shared an article on my Facebook page last week. According to this post , oil pulling is something that has been around for years and offers significant health benefits.  The idea is to pick an oil (in my case coconut oil), put a teaspoon or more in your mouth and swish it around for 20 minutes. It is important not to swallow the oil and to dispose of it in the trash after you're done. I know, it sounds nuts. When I first read it, I thought there is no way this is serious. But after reading the benefits, I'm tempted to try it out myself. Among other things oil pulling can supposedly clear sinuses and help you sleep better.  Those two benefits already have me sold. My sinuses are horrible and I rarely sleep through the night because of my OAB. At this point I'm willingly to try anything to find relief for both of these issues.  The author claims that it also whitens teeth and helps prevent cavities.

So here's my challenge: try oil pulling for a month and see if there is any improvement. I plan to start Monday and hope to share the results. Anyone interested in joining me?

Until next time :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment