Monday, February 24, 2014

Wash Day: Success and A New Challenge

Yesterday's wash day was both a success and failure. For the past month I've noticed a good amount of hair in the shower after my normal wash day routine. I started washing my hair in loose braids in January to prevent tangling/knots and to decrease manipulation. This seemed to work but the shedding and breaking increased. While breaking and shedding are normal during this process, I was starting to get a little worried. After doing a little research about shedding (the average person can shed from 40-120 strands a day depending on age, length of hair and growth cycle) and breakage, I decided to change my wash routine just a little. YouTube came to the rescue yet again :)! I found this video and it helped tremendously.

I was happy... until I started to detangle my hair. After using a very generous amount of Kinky Curl Knot Natural Leave in Detangler, I used a wide tooth comb to detangle my hair. I had three huge knots in my hair!  I defeated all of the knots except for one. By this point I was tired, it was late and I just wanted to be done with my hair. I got the knot out (probably not in the best way) and ended up losing some hair along with it. Even though my relaxed hair will eventually be chopped off, I have to be careful that I don't experience breakage with my natural hair. Oh the joys of transitioning!

The pesky knot and the hair I lost with it :( .


On a happier note, I also tried an apple cider vinegar rinse based on this post to help with my dry, itchy scalp.  My scalp felt great after and I hope to see a difference with continual use. Check this out  for more ways to use apple cider vinegar to promote healthy hair .

That's it for now. Please feel free to share some tips/advice on how to prevent knots during the washing process. I may try out some of the homemade detangler recipes seen here.

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment