Thursday, February 13, 2014

Bantu Knot-Out: A fun and cute way to flaunt curls

Happy Thursday!

I have some exciting news: I did my very first Bantu Knot & Bantu Knot-Out :).

At this point in my transition quick and easy hairstyles are a must.  I need hairstyles that require minimal maintenance and will blend the two textures on my head (relaxed and new growth). One of the great things about transitioning is the opportunity to try out different styles. I wanted to rock curls this week so I decided to try Bantu Knots.

When I first saw a picture of Bantu Knots, I thought "there is no way I could ever do that to my hair!" All of my natural friends claimed it was a fun and easy hairstyle. I was skeptical but my curiosity got the best of me. I searched YouTube and found a great Bantu Knot tutorial by DrugStoreQueenNene. Click on the video below to watch her tutorial.
 
Armed with this video, EVCO (extra virgin coconut oil), Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Hair Moisturizer and a rat tail comb, I got to work. On Monday, I went through my usual wash day routine and waited until my hair was about 90% dry (I air dry) before doing the knots. I sectioned my hair and applied the EVCO and Elasta QP to each section. All in all it took about an hour to finish.

My first Bantu Knots :)
I decided to rock my Bantu Knots on Monday and Tuesday before doing a knot-out on Wednesday. I was thoroughly impressed that my knots survived pole and my other fitness classes.


Without further ado, here is a picture and video of my Bantu Knot Out:




Last night I did the knots again but this time I used the "two strand twist" version on dry hair. I spritzed my hair with water and used EVCO along with Elasta QP.  The results were great. I plan to co-wash tonight and wear the knot-out again this weekend.

This is a great go-to style for transitioners.  I plan on wearing this style more and playing around with different Bantu Knot-Out Styles.

*** Edit***---Check out this article for more tips on Bantu Knots from Black Hair Media.

What are your favorite Bantu Knot-Out styles? Please feel free to share your styles or ideas :).

Until next time!



     


No comments:

Post a Comment