Friday, September 26, 2014

Natural Journey: 5 Months Natural


Current Length: 5" (when stretched in some areas, according the stylist that cut my hair).

 I know, my previous "length" checks are not accurate. At some point in the near future, I need to do an official length with a tape measure and all.

Before the Deva trim/ unplanned second big chop


Side view


Back view 

My Go-to Styles this month: At the beginning of the month I started playing around  with different styles. Because I had more length, I was able to try flat twists for the first time. The pics above are from my first attempt. I also wore my fro a lot as usual and picked it out or wore a headband. Unfortunately, that ended after my trim. The trim took about four or five inches, which was about half of my length.  At first I was mortified and disappointed by this setback. It took me almost two weeks to feel comfortable with wearing my shorter fro without a headscarf. But now, I have embraced it and I'm looking forward to seeing my hair grow even healthier than the first time. 


Two weeks after the unplanned big chop




 Hair Regimen:  One of my main issues so far has been dry hair. I took a hard look at my hair regimen and made a number of changes. First, I purchased a new conditioner to use a leave-in, rinse out and for deep conditioning. Check out this post to see the conditioner that I currently have in my regimen. I also wanted to  try a few products from Carol's Daughter: Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner and Marguerite's Magic Restorative Cream. I just received those products yesterday and so far so good. I'll post a review of sometime next month to give me time to see how my hair responds. Knots and tangles also became an issue for me. Instead of solely using my  fingers to detangle, I now try to use my Denman brush or a wide tooth comb at least once a week.

Plans for next month: Keep track of my progress with moisture retention and adjust my products if need be.

That's all for now.

Until next time :)!

                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment