Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Wash Day | Detangling Tips

I originally planned on wearing my recent low manipulation style for two weeks, but after one week I decided to take it out. I wore a curly afro on Saturday and then a big puff this morning before I started my wash day process. I have to admit I really didn't want to wash my hair today. The past week was really busy and I didn't have the energy to do my hair. But, with my work schedule Sunday was the only day I could get it done, in between my best friend's visit from NYC.

Pre-pooed with my Aloe Vera Juice and Vegetable Glycerin and The Antidote by Tangles and Beyond. I saturate my hair with the Aloe Vera Juice and Glycerin before applying The Antidote to my strands.  I added heat by using my Hot Heads Cap for about 30 minutes. 

Co-Washed with  Detangling Co-Wash by Mielle Organics

 Protein Treatment with GPB Balancing Protein Conditioner by Aubrey Organics 

Deep Conditioned with Babassu Oil and Mint Deep Conditioner  under my Hot Head cap for about an hour--not on purpose.

After a weekend full of Portland sightseeing and eating with my bestie and husband, I was not thrilled about doing mini twists in my hair. Instead, I opted for big chunky twists for the week.
My big chunky twists.


Detangling Tips

Here are a few of my detangling tips that I've learned throughout my natural hair journey

My detangling go-to products and tools


1) It all starts with the pre-poo session- For me the pre-poo part of the wash day is my first step in handling tangles and knots. I like to finger detangle and search for any shed hairs or tangles in my hair. Recently, I've found that wetting my hair with water, Aloe Vera Juice and water (in my hand dandy blue spritz bottle) before applying The Antidote works wonders for my hair. In addition to removing shed hairs, my pre-poo concoction leaves my hair soft and moisturized.

2) Find a deep conditioner with good slip- Another great tip to make detangling a smooth process on wash day, is find a good deep conditioner. Hopefully, deep conditioning is already a big part of your natural hair care regimen. On wash day, I apply my deep conditioner and sit under my Hot Heads cap for at least 30 minutes. The added heat and slip from my conditioner makes my "official" detangling better.

3) Make sure you have the proper detangling tool- Yes, I'm one of those naturalistas that only uses combs on wash day. I like detangling with my Eternally in Amber comb with my deep conditioner still in my hair. I love the combs from Eternally in Amber because they don't snag, rip or tear out my hair. Whichever detangling tool you use (Denman brush, comb, etc.) make sure you choose something that won't damage your tresses.

4) Choose a good Leave-in Conditioner - I think a good leave-in conditioner is just as important as your deep conditioner. I have really thick, coarse curls that love to get tangled when wet. So, you guessed it even after I detangle my hair can still sometimes get tangles during the final rinse stage. Instead of detangling with a comb AGAIN, I use my leave-in conditioner from Tangles and Beyond. This sweet smelling leave-in, melts my tangles almost instantly without a comb and has become a lifesaver. 

What are some of your favorite detangling tips or tricks? Join the #WashDay experience and take part in the March Themes. 

The Wash Day Experience               
     

No comments:

Post a Comment