Friday, June 26, 2015

Completing the Pack: How We Became Pooch Parents to three rescued dogs

As some of you may know, the hubby and I are dog parents to three Pit Bulls. But you might not know the story behind all three of the rescues. 

In 2009, my husband and I were in a rut. We were both in school and were looking for a way to become more active. My future mother-in-law suggested that we get a dog.  After talking about it, we decided it was a great idea.
While we were looking for a dog to adopt, it just so happened that my husband’s boss found a dog on her property in Northern Kentucky. She knew that we were thinking of getting a dog and she couldn’t keep him, so she suggested that we give it a try.
But there was only one catch: he was a Pit Bull.
I have to admit that when we heard that, we were a little nervous. At the time, I didn’t have a lot of experience with dogs, let alone Pit Bulls, as my family only briefly had two dogs when I was a child. My husband, on the other hand, grew up having dogs and other animals in his family, but he wasn’t familiar with Pit Bulls. Ultimately, the thought of the dog not finding a home troubled us, and we agreed to give it a try. Once we met Chancho, I knew right away that we would keep him, because he was fun-loving, playful and affectionate.

Now, I would be lying if I said that first year with Chancho was smooth sailing.

We definitely had our ups and downs. There were many, many times we felt a tad overwhelmed and unprepared to be dog parents.
Our man Chancho, chillin' out

To read more about our journey with Chancho and our other two dogs, go to Strong Is Our Sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment